Exercise: Try some experiments of your own
The best way to learn a new skill is by practicing. I strongly encourage you to experiment with the behaviors in your life. Here are a few examples that you might like to try:
- If you spend a lot of time on fertility forums, try avoiding this for one week
- If you spend too much time talking you your family and friends about concept, try avoiding this for one week
- If you avoid talking about conception, pick someone and start a discussion about it
- If you avoid meeting friends with children, make plans to catch up with someone who you have been avoiding. Ideally, the children will be present.
If you try an experiment, please keep the following in mind:
- Give it your best try, but not to a point where it is causing you extreme stress or making you miserable. If this turns out to be the case, you will want to explore other options for experimenting with this behavior. For example, it may be better to phase it out, rather than going cold turkey.
- At this point you aren't committing to a major change in your life. Remember, this is just an experiment to get a better understanding of this behavior's role in your life. Although the experiment may seem daunting, the results might surprise you.